Monday, October 11, 2010

Mike, the cyclist / part wedding planer

After a packed weekend with my fiancé's b day and friends b days, I squeezed a few days training in before my TT. So I'll give u a rundown of that now, then I'll talk about my awesome weekend.

Storm king cannibal-
or the Hudson highlands gran fondo, whatever you want to call it, was a 7.1 mile time trial up over the mountain and back over to end at the summit.
The event was right by my appartment so I got to sleep in a little. It was about 40 out when I got up, and my appartment was freezing! I didn't need much fuel for the race since it's short, so I had a piece of bread with nutella. I got all my shit togheter and filled my water bottle, grabbed a gel and drove to the stageing area. The race setup was pretty bad ass, there was even a chick who held your bike upright like in a pro tour TT. So I arrive and sign in and gear up and start riding around to warm up. I tell you, it was colder than a bastard out! I had goosebumps all the way till they called my name to stage " or so I thought ". The girl told me it was my turn so I pounded my only energy gel " hammer gel w/ espresso " for a extra kick, only to find out they made a mistake and I wouldent be going off untill 10am. Great I said to myself, I wasted my only gel 15 min too early. Finally it was my turn! I got on my bike with about 7 other cat 4/5 dudes watching, the chick held me up by my seat " I felt like such a pro" I almost did the contador sign of the cross three times lol, and the beep for ten seconds then 3,2,1.....I was off! I attacked the first mile long climb in my big chainring and almost right away I felt not very good. My legs were heavy from the lack of training and my form was off, but I made it up to the summit and bombed down. I was tucked as far as u could be and cranking my ass off, I was doing about 40mph. Then I hit more hills, I tryed to get into a rythm but I kept figgiting around and was uncomfortable. I hit the turn around and headed toward the finish line. I was digging deep and catching up to the guy who started a minute before me. ( it's a known fact for cyclists when your in a TT and see your about to catch someone, you kill yourself to get him no excuses ). I had him in my sights and by 500 meters to the summit finish I almost had him. I crossed the finish line in 00:23:23 just behind the dude. When I finished I could feel my body in shambles, my eyes were red, nose dripping snot and I was drooling all over. Good visual hu? It will be cause someone snapped a pic of me as I finished lol. I'll post it as soon as I find it. All in all I finished in 2nd place 24 sec behind the winner. Rats!!! But it's cool. On my way down from the finish to my car, I got a real moral booster! My fiancé and our very good friends were on the side of the road waiting for me to ride by. They cheered for me not knowing I finished 2nd anyway, which makes me really happy! Thanks to them. So that was the time trial!

As you now know Erin and I are engaged. So were trying to plan this wedding! Well Erin is, I'm kinda the half planner. Erin wrote out like almost all her family and friends in like 15 minutes. She handed the paper to me and I got as far as writting mom and dad. I'm horrible. Regardless, I am damn stoked to get married! I did look at dudes wedding bands and seen some bad ass tux's. I'm leaning to a titanium ring, cause titanium is fucking awesome. Altho I would love to have a carbon fiber one lol! I'm excited to help plan the wedding! Erin has all these wedding mags and shit, and I do sneak a peek at them, not gonna lie! I got some cool ideas. But I'm not telling! Well that's all for now. I'm going to let the rain sing me to sleep " and the occasional car horn ". So that's that!
Rubber side down
mike "the groom to be"

No comments:

Post a Comment